Wednesday, January 12, 2011

more panels


Here you can see the detail developing- I go from general to specific, big to small...in working on tyvek, the pieces become like giant drawings or watercolors and they proceed very fast, like the paintings are ahead of me and I'm racing to keep up. 
The tentative working title for this is "A Private World On The Sea Of Ice"- it's a direct reference to the CD Friedrich painting "Sea Of Ice" as well as being about my time in Maine. When I'm there, the peninsula where my family lives becomes a very private world where nothing else really matters. It's one of those places you go to that, while you're there, you lose yourself.
My work deals mainly with the figure and the landscape and that New England tradition/realtionship. In referencing the Friedrich piece, I want the viewer to question the new relationship to nature: no longer is it primarily adversarial and about survival- it's recreational (danger at a distance) Where the Friedrich painting is about the destructive beauty and power of the wild and our smallness in it, in my private world I still can walk through that wildness without life and death danger. 
How do we experience nature when it no longer threatens us?


No comments: